Updated June 16, 2016
Country Background, History, and Comprehensive Research Guides
- Africa.com: African Countries
Comprehensive histories and facts on Africa countries, a travel section, and comprehensive arts and business news.
- Africa Pages
African Studies Association guide to sites on different issues, publications, and countries in Africa.
- Africa Portal
Online knowledge resource for policy-related issues on Africa.
- African Human Rights Case Law Analyser (CLA)
Ranks most relevant laws on a topic, based on number of citations and links to related laws and texts
- African Online Digital Library
Multimedia collections about Africa; topics covered in collections include religion, history, activism.
- African Journal Archive
Articles from multiple journals published in Africa, in fields of sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
- BBC: The Story of Africa
- New York University Globalex: Sources of Online Legal Information for African Countries
- Nordic Africa Institute: Studying Africa
Free guide to the literature in African Studies, primarily within social sciences.
- UNESCO: General History of Africa
Launched in 1964 to "remedy the general ignorance on Africa's history...reconstructing Africa's history, freeing it from racial prejudices ensuing from slave trade and colonization, and promoting an African perspective."
Data, Polls, and Surveys
- Africa Check
Non-profit that tests claims made by public figures around the continent, focuses on South Africa and Nigeria.
- African Development Bank: Data Portal
See also African Statistical Yearbook
- African Statistical Yearbook
Frican Union Commission (AUC), and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
- African Economic Outlook
Combines expertise from African Development Bank, OECD Development Centre, UN Economic Commission for Africa, UN Development Programme, and a network of African think tanks and research centres.
- African Union Statistics Division
(From 2005) economic, social, demographic, political and environmental conditions in African countriesthat enable comparison between countries and regions
"African-led series of national public attitude surveys on democracy and governance in Africa."
- BRICS Joint Statistical Publications
(2010-present) economics and labor data for Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
- Economic and Social Rights Empowerment Initiative: Index of Social and Economic Rights Fulfillment
- Fund for Peace: Fragile States Index
- IMF data
Some data must be purchased.
- Heritage Foundation: Index of Economic Freedom
- Reporters Without Borders: Press Freedom Index
- UNECA Economic Report on Africa
- UN Human Development Report: Country Data
(1998-present) regional overviews and reports on individual nations in Africa
- World Bank: Sub-Saharan Africa Data
Organizations and Institutes
U.S. Policy Toward Africa
Development and Investment in Africa