Updated November 30, 2012
Arctic Research Links are divided into:
History and People
See also Essential Documents on the Arctic, CFR.org's collection of primary source documents.
Data, Polls, and Surveys
- Organizations Involved in Circumpolar Cooperation
(August 2012) compiled by Industry, Infrastructure and Resources Division within the Parliament of Canada.
- CSIS: Arctic
Geopolitical and strategic challenges in the Arctic; includes January 2012 report: "A New Security Architecture for the Arctic: An American Perspective."
- Arctic Governance Project
"Researchers, indigenous leaders, and members of the policy community to frame critical questions." Includes Compendium of proposals on different areas of arctic governance.
- Foreign Policy Association Blogs: The Arctic
- Geopolitics in the High North
Aims "to develop new knowledge about actors and their interests in the High North...led by the Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies."
- Inuit Circumpolar Council
NGO representing Inuit peoples from Canada, Russia, Alaska, and Greenland.
- NATO Library Guides: Arctic Security
Official NATO documents
- UN: Convention on the Law of the Sea
(December 10, 1982) governs the Arctic: "allows a coastal state to have exclusive economic control 200 miles off its coast."
- Who Owns the Arctic? Arctic Sovereignty and International Relations
University of British Columbia professor's blog about governing the Arctic Regions; includes links to maps, treaties, legislation, research papers, books, and videos on the foreign policy related to the Arctic.
U.S. Policy Toward the Arctic and Polar Regions
Organizations and Institutions
Scientific Research and Natural Resources
Including biology, environmental and climate sciences. See also Research Links on Climate Change.
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Potential Impacts of Proposed Oil and Gas Development on the Arctic Refuge's Coastal Plain
- Arctic Power
Pro-drilling advocacy organization; resources explaining viewpoint and links to federal and petroleum agencies.
- ClimateWatch Magazine: Arctic articles
- International Polar Year (IPY) 2007-2008: Publications
- Institute of Arctic Biology
University of Alaska; study of complete life ecosystem, including human, wildlife, and plants.
- International Arctic Research Center
University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- NASA: Polar regions - Arctic
Saved search for videos, satellite images, news releases and podcasts related to Arctic and climatology and geology
- National Science Foundation: Office of Polar Programs, Arctic Sciences
- Nature: Special issue on the Arctic: After the ice
- NOAA: Arctic research
Arctic research projects, surveys, observatory information and more.
- SIPRI: Managing competition and promoting cooperation in the Arctic
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Polar Regions and Climate Change
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS): Educational Resources
Data, reports, maps, photographs of wildlife, geology, and energy in Alaska-Arctic region.
- USGS: "An Evaluation of the Science Needs to Inform Decisions on Outer Continental Shelf Energy Development in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas"
Last three chapters consider current scientific understanding and science gaps "regarding oil-spill risk, response, and impact, marine mammals and anthropogenic noise, and cumulative impacts."
Maps and Images
Comprehensive Research Guides
- Arctic Portal
News, science, people, organizations, maps, data, acronyms.
- Arctic Progress: Core Articles and Glossary
Blog on "economy, geopolitics and future of the Arctic world"; includes Arctic news and analysis, definitions.
- International Arctic Research Council
Collaboration between U.S. and Japan research centers to understand the origins of climate changes and steps .
- International Arctic Social Sciences Associations: Links of Interest
- NATO Library Guides: Arctic Security
- Russian Geographical Society: International Arctic Forum Overview
Background on environment, people, foreign policy issues, exploration.
- U.S. IPY Division: Resources
People and culture, science, historical research.