The 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing put China under increased international scrutiny regarding its role in the world. This is a selection of CFR.org content focusing on a range of issues in China including governance, human rights, economy, the environment, and Chinese relations with the rest of the world.
Overview of Beijing Olympics 2008:
- Backgrounder: Olympic Pressure on China
- Backgrounder: Nationalism in China
- Interactive Slideshow: Politics and the Olympics
- Op-Ed: Richard Haass on "Rules of Olympic Gamesmanship"
- Foreign Affairs: "China's Olympic Nightmare"
- Interview: Mitt Romney on Olympic Sponsors
- CFR Meeting: Spotlight On China: The Olympics
- Transcript: CFR's Segal and Economy on the Olympics
Engagement with the World:
- Photo Timeline: China-U.S. Relations
- Backgrounder: China-North Korea Relations
- Backgrounder: China-Taiwan Relations
- Backgrounder: China-Japan Relations
- Backgrounder: China, Africa, and Oil
- Backgrounder: China-Persian Gulf Economic Relations
- Essential Document: U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission Report
- Backgrounder: China's Environmental Crisis
- Video: CFR Symposum on China and Climate Change
- Foreign Affairs: The Great Leap Backward?
Terrorism and Security:
- Backgrounder: East Turkestan Islamic Movement
- Backgrounder: The Shanghai Cooperation Organization
- Foreign Affairs: The Faces of Chinese Power
Politics and Society:
- Backgrounder: The Communist Party of China
- Backgrounder: Uighurs and China's Xinjiang Region
- Backgrounder: The Question of Tibet
- Backgrounder: Media Censorship in China
- CFR Meeting Transcript: Symposium on Religion and the Future of China
- Backgrounder: Religion in China
- Backgrounder: Access to Justice in China
- Podcast: Minky Worden on "China's Olympian Challenges"
- Op-Ed: Jerome Cohen on "China's Jailed Champions"
- Essential Document: U.S. State Department Report on Human Rights 2007
Managing China's Economic Rise: