This statement was issued by the Chinese and Pakistani governments during Musharraf's visit to China; it includes 10 Memoranda of Understanding covering trade, development, technology and other issues.
"President Pervez Musharraf visited China on 10-15 April 2008 on the invitation of President Hu Jintoa. He was accompanied by Begum Sehba Musharraf.
During the State visit, President of Pakistan held officials talks with President Hu Jintao in Sanya; met Chairman NPC Standing Committee Mr. Wu Bangguo, Premier Wen Jiabao, and Chairman CPPCC Mr. Jia Qinglin in Beijing as well as the leadership of the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region in Urumqi.
In their warm and friendly discussions, the leaders of Pakistan and China underscored the importance of the special relations that so happily exist between the two countries as well as their determination to take Pakistan-China friendship and strategic partnership to new heights.
Both sides expressed complete satisfaction on the development of comprehensive cooperation in all fields and agreed to further enhance their cooperative ties in economy, trade, science & technology, culture, and people to people relations.
China expressed its full support to the efforts of the Government of Pakistan to promote socio-economic development and in this regard expressed its readiness to assist Pakistan for the development of the energy, mineral and mining sectors; enhance financial and banking sector cooperation; and extend support for “projects” under the Pakistan-China Joint Five year economic and Trade Cooperation Plan. Both sides agreed to work together to achieve the trade target of $ 15 billion as early as possible.
Both sides also agreed to optimally utilize the bilateral FTA. It was agreed that FTA on Trade in Services will be completed as early as possible.
Both sides agreed to enhance coordination and cooperation between relevant departments and agencies so as to facilitate overland trade between Pakistan and China .
Both sides also agreed to take steps for upgrading transportation and communication networks overland with a view to enhancing connectivity between the bordering regions for mutual benefit. Both sides also agreed to cooperate closely in the fields of water management, environmental protection and bio-diversity.
Both sides agreed to further strengthen defence cooperation and enhance collaboration between their respective defence industries.
China expressed its full support for Pakistan 's efforts to preserve its sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and expressed appreciation for Pakistan 's important role in promoting peace, stability and security and its contribution to counter terrorism.
Pakistan reiterated its full support for the One China Policy and the return of Taiwan to motherland as well as its condemnation and rejection of the three evil forces i.e. secessionism, separatism and terrorism.
Both sides exchanged views on regional and global issues and reached common understanding. They agreed to work together closely in global and regional forums to promote the cause of peace and development.
Pakistan warmly congratulated the Chinese leaders and people on their great national accomplishments and expressed joy at the celebrations of the three decades of the policy of economic reforms and opening up.
Pakistan also expressed its appreciation for the excellent arrangements made by the Government and people of China for the holding of the Beijing Olympics and expressed its fullest cooperation and support to the Chinese Government.
President Hu Jintao accepted with pleasure the invitation extended by the President of Pakistan to visit Pakistan at his convenience.
Following Agreements/MOUs were signed during the visit:
• Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Water and Power of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Ministry of Water Resources of the People's Republic of China.
• Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation in Engineering and Technological Sciences between the Ministry of Science and Technology of Islamic republic of Pakistan and the Chinese Academy of Engineering of the People's Republic of China.
• Agreement on Sports Cooperation between the Ministry of Sports of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the General Administration of Sport of the People's Republic of China.
• Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation between the Ministry of Finance of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Ministry of Finance of the People's Republic of China.
• Memorandum of Understanding for Cooperation on Architectural Design, Research and Constructions between Capital Development Authority (CDA), Islamabad, Pakistan and The Consortium of China Architecture Design & Research Group and Institute of Architecture Design and Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
• Memorandum of Understanding for Cooperation in the field of exchange of news between Pakistan Television Corporation and China Central Television Network of the People's Republic of China.
• Memorandum of Understanding for the establishment of Pakistan Culture and communication centre at Tsinghua University .
• Memorandum of Understanding on Economic and Trade Cooperation between the Ministry of Commerce of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, People's Republic of China.
• Memorandum of Understanding between Board of Investment of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and China Council for International Investment Promotion on Cooperation in Investment.
• Memorandum of Understanding on establishing relations of Friendship and Good Neighbourly Cooperation between the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) of Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
15 April 2008"