Updated July 3, 2013
The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, "determined to protect the climate system for present and future generations," acknowledged that the climate system is a shared resource whose stability can be affected by greenhouse gases and human activity. Climate Change Research Links highlights resources about effects of climate change on international issues, and includes news, databases, statistics, conventions, and treaties.
Research Links on Climate Change are divided into:
News updates on climate change, the environment, environmental science, and government initiatives.
One-stop shops for background information, analysis, data, and scientific research.
History, Background, and Research Guides
- Climate Ark: Climate Change and Global Warming Portal
- Convention on Biodiversity: Climate Change and Biodiversity
Conference discussions and key publications; database for adaptation planning.
- Eldis: Climate Change Resource Guide
- Global Climate Change Exploratorium: Overview of Climate Change Research
In addition to background, data, models, glossary, related sites for atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, biosphere, and global effects of climate change.
- NASA: Climate Q & A
- Real Climate
Commentary from scientific community
- Resources for the Future: Climate Change
- World Meteorological Organization: Climate
Defines climate, climate systems, models and past climates, how one researches, interprets, and predicts in climate science, causes of climate change, international collaborations
Scientific research and data on public opinion on climate change, climate change models, and simulations, environmental trends, and the future outlook. More data in individual topic areas in final sections.
Data, Polls, and Surveys
- The Chronicle: Climate Change Research Heats up
Timeline from 1987-2011 chronicling increase in climate change related research in different disciplines. Data from Thomson Reuters Web of Science.
- Columbia University: Center for Research on Environmental Decisions (CRED)
- U.S. Energy Information Administration: Environment
Data and projections
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Data
Climate models, observations, environmental data and scenarios, assessment reports.
- NASA: Global Change Master Directory - Climate Indicators
Atmospheric, ocean, paleoclimate, land surface, and agriculture indicators.
- NOAA: Global Observing Systems Information Center
- Pew Center on Global Climate Change: International Emissions
- UNEP: Global Environmental Outlook Data Portal
Create and customize graphs, data sets on global/regional levels
- World Bank: Climate Change Knowledge Portal
On map select geographic area, then data tables
- World Meteorological Organization: Statement on the Status of Global Climate
1993-2011; average temperatures and percipitation
- World Resources Institute: Data sets
Climate Analysis Indicators Tool is down after a cyberattack; other data publications on forests, fresh water and oceans, mining, and carbon dioxide.
- Yale University: Environmental Performance Index
U.S. Policy and Initiatives
Resources to locate and track international meetings, agreements, and standards on climate change and the environment, such as the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
International Treaties and Partnerships
At the UN Human Rights Council in 2008, the United States submitted observations on the relationship between climate change and human rights.
Effects on the Human Health, Development, and Society
- Columbia University: International Research Institute for Climate and Society
Data, map, forecast libraries: "science-based approach to enhance society's capability to understand, anticipate and manage the impacts of climate in order to improve human welfare and the environment, especially in developing countries"
- U.S. EPA: Impacts and Adaptation
U.S.-specific effects of climate change on agriculture, human health, energy.
- International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change
January 2013 on global biodiversity; Spring 2012 on the green economy
- NASA: Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC): Climate
"Focuses on human interactions in the environment...to serve as an "Information Gateway" between the Earth and social sciences."
- Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
Addressing mitigation and adaptation
- UN Convention on Biological Diversity: Sustaining Life on Earth
"How the Convention on Biological Diversity promotes nature and human well-being"
- UN Population Fund (UNFPA): Demography of Adaptation to Climate Change
(2013) "a framework for...key concepts linking demography and adaptation, data foundations and techniques for analyzing climate vulnerability"
- UN Millennium Assessment Reports
"Assessed the consequences of ecosystem change for human well-being."
- UN World Heritage Convention: Case Studies on Climate Change and World Heritage
2009 edition: "twenty-six case studies from selected natural and cultural World Heritage sites in order to illustrate the impacts of climate change that have already been observed, and those that can be expected in the future."
- World Health Organization: Health Topics -- Climate Change
Includes atlas connecting human health and climate change, technical information, fact sheets, and statistics.
- World Resources Institute Publications: People and Ecosystems
Includes both economic costs of not addressing climate change and organizations that track the green economy.
Effects on the Economy
- Center for Climate and Energy Solutions: Economic Modeling for Climate Policy
Analyzes "the potential costs and benefits of mitigating climate change," such as how the economy will perform in the absence of policies, or the effects of emissions trading.
- BP: Statistical Review of World Energy
Historical data from 1965; reserves of natural gas, coal, oil; reserves to production volume; and status of hydroelectricity, nuclear energy, and renewables.
- Clean Edge: Clean Energy Reports
"Tracking, forecasting, and market sizing the global solar, wind, and biofuels markets....analysis of solar PV pricing, the public markets, and venture capital investments."
- Deutsche Asset and Wealth Management: Climate Change Initatives
Investment research on clean energy markets; 2009 assessment of country policies and associated risk: http://www.dbcca.com/dbcca/EN/investment-research/investment_research_1780.jsp
- EPA: Evaluating Climate Policy Options, Costs and Benefits
- Global Development and Environment Institute: Climate Economics
Research initiative at Tufts University to "counter the argument that doing anything about climate change is prohibitively expensive."
- Institute for Twenty-First Century Energy: Energy Security Risk Index
See also their International Index of Energy Security Risk.
- NOAA: Data and Tools summary
"Social and economic data that policy makers can use to better manage the coasts and oceans."
- UN Environment Program: Green Economy
Defines: "a green economy as one that results in improved human well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing environmental risks and ecological scarcities."
Effects on Security
- Center for Climate & Security
Think tank that "explores and highlights the security risks of climate change, at the sub-national, national, regional, and international levels, and offers solutions for mitigating and adapting."
- Center for Naval Analysis: National Security and the Threat of Climate Change
2007 landmark report by military leaders "that articulates the concept of climate change acting as a “threat multiplier” for instability in some of the most volatile regions of the world and identifies key challenges that must be planned for now if they a
- Center for New American Security: Natural Security Blog
Program began in 2009 to focus on consumption (energy, minerals, land, water) and on consequences (biodiversity, climate change)
- Environment and Security Initiative (ENVSEC)
"Assessment of environment and security risks, capacity building and institutional development to strengthen environmental cooperation as well as integration of environmental and security concerns and priorities in international and national policy-making
- Institute for Environmental Security
""Knowledge and action network" set up to increase political attention to environmental security as a means to help prevent conflict, instability and unrest."
- International Institute for Sustainable Development: Environment, Conflict and Peacebuilding
"Natural resources and other environmental factors are linked to violent conflict in a variety of ways often obscured by more visible issues, such as ethnic tension and power politics."