International Business: Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
Updated May 8, 2015
How can businesses prevent partnering with corrupt businesses abroad and enforce ethical practices in their organizations? International Business: Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility Research Links provide resources on how organizations, countries, and individuals can fight corruption and create a competitive, honest international market. The links are divided into:
History and Background
Context for recent initiatives to promote corporate governance and anti-corruption measures in business.
Data, Polls, and Surveys
Official Statements, Conventions, and Legislation
Foundational conventions, legislation, and governmental statements on fighting corruption in their regions.
- African Union: Convention on Preventing and Combating Corruption
(2003, PDF) addresses government, civilian and private sector partnerships to fight corruption.
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Rio+20: Time to leap forward!
- European Commission: Anti-Corruption Report 2014
- EU: Criminal Law Convention on Corruption
- EU: EUR-Lex, Access to European Laws
Collection of EU laws related to fighting corruption.
- India: Business.gov.in
Background on Corporate Governance in India and International Guidelines.
- India: Central Vigilance Commission's National Anti-Corruption Strategy
(2010, PDF) History, forms, and impact of corruption in India and how the administrators, international organizations, the private sector and citizens can fight it. CVC.gov.in has index to related cases, law materials.
- International Anti-Corruption Standards
- ISO: Social Responsibility
- OECD: Convention on Combatting Bribery of Public Officials in International Business Transactions
Text of the original convention (2001), implementation by country, member countries, 2009 Anti-Bribery Recommendations.
- UK: Ministry of Justice Bribery Act
Discussion and tools for understanding Bribery Act 2010.
- UN: Convention Against Corruption
Regular conferences held to continue to prevent, criminalize and work internationally to stop corruption.
- U.S.: Department of Justice -- U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
(2010) portal to legislative history, lay-person's guide, international agreements.
- U.S.: Department of State -- International Anti-Corruption and Good Governance Act
- U.S.: Department of Treasury -- Terrorism and Illicit Finance
How Treasury enforces U.S. Patriot Act, 311 Actions: "to target specific money laundering and terrorist financing risks" (311 Actions, U.S. Patriot Act). Also: tracking terrorist financing, protecting charitable organizations.
- U.S.: Federal Trade Commission
To prevent business practices that are anticompetitive or deceptive or unfair to consumers; to enhance informed consumer choice...without unduly burdening legitimate business activity.
Organizations and Institutes
Organizations and meetings for businesses to establish partnerships and best practices.
- Asian Corporate Governance Association
Annotated links for banks, government financial departments, and other regulation organizations in China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand. (Most other publications on site are member-only).
- Canadian Coalition for Good Governance
Links to organizations in Canada, the United States and International, in areas such as Legal and Regulatory, Provincial Securities, Commissions, Governance Ratings, Education.
- Corporate Social Responsibility Directory
Online resource guide listing more than 2,700 organizations working on all aspects of corporate social responsibility in more than 105 countries.
- EU: European Partners Against Corruption
"EU's National Police Oversight Bodies and Anti-Corruption Authorities"; members' anti-corruption declarations, Best Practices report.
- Government Accountability Project: Corporate & Financial Accountability
Short description of major legislation that protects corporate whistleblowers: "Founded in 1977, GAP is the nation's leading whistleblower protection and advocacy organization...a nonpartisan, public interest group."
- Harvard Kennedy School: Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative
A multi-disciplinary and multi-stakeholder program that seeks to study and enhance the public contributions of private enterprise.
- International Business Ethics Institute: Business Ethics Organizations
- International Chamber of Commerce
International guidelines and standards to fight corruption.
- International Compliance Association Links
Links to international organizations by country, that deal with financial regulation, law enforcement, and financial intelligence.
- International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN): Best Practices
Organization of international business leaders, who discuss how they handle possibilities of corruption; implementation guides for investors and for businesses.
- NYU Law: Center for Transnational Litigation and Commercial Law
Links to international commercial laws, conflict of laws, and litigation. Also has blogs with analysis of court cases in the news.
- United Nations Campaign: Anti-Corruption Links
Links to organizations fighting corruption at the regional or international level.
- World Economic Forum: Partnering Against Corruption Initiative
Communities to join, based on size of business, industry; speeches from and discussions between various business executives on why anti-corruption is vital and how to implement zero tolerance policies, while still supporting business.
Country Reports and Case Studies
Specific instances of corruption and how anti-corruption measures were implemented.
Examples of due diligence: how organizations can create their own anti-corruption and corporate governance policies and analyze those of potential business partners.
Comprehensive Research Guides
Collections of tools, articles, graphs, and links to support research about corruption and implementation of anti-corruption measures in businesses.
- Better Business Bureau: Business Resources
Tips, book suggestions, Federal Trade Commission guide.
- Corporate Watch
Company profiles in different industries, research reports with suggested solutions, links to other corporate watchers.
- Eldis: Ethical Business
Includes documents and organizations.
- Enterprise Development Website: Business ethics and corporate social responsibility
Guides to international resources and organizations involved in holding corporations accountable; thorough overviews of site offerings.
- Ethics Research Center: Resources
Publications, toolkit, related links.
- Global Advice Network: Business Anti-Corruption Portal: Integrity System
Aimed at Small-to-Medium Enterprises; tools to perform due diligence: sample anti-corruption policies, corruption cases, grey areas (gifts, travel, etc.), whistle blowing, documents on how specific countries and organizations are fighting corruption.
- globalEdge: International Business Resource Desk
Links to international business organizations with statistical data, multi-country comparisons, news and links to organizations dealing with Corporate Governance.
- Stanford Business: Center for Social Innovation: Corporate Social Responsibility
Articles, case studies, research papers.
- U4 Anti-Corruption Portal, Private Sector and Corruption
Database of private sector projects addressing corruption, publications on expert answers and practicing anti-corruption, helpdesk for questions, annotated links, links to conventions and additional "themes" in corruption (government, NGOs, etc).
Effects of Corruption in Business