Updated January 15, 2015
How can the United States protect cyberspace "control system of our country," without restricting the open "flow of information on the Internet"? What should countries consider when developing international cybersecurity standards and protocol? What should their citizens know to protect their information and their rights? Cybersecurity Policy Research Links provide news, background information, legislation, analysis, and international efforts to protect government and the public's information.
Research Links on Cybersecurity Policy are divided into:
From updates on brands, to technology in the military, health, and business fields, to concerns like privacy, security, political, and legal issues.
- Crypto-Gram Newsletter
Monthly free newsletter from Bruce Schneier, who "explains, debunks, and draws lessons from security stories that make the news."
- Foreign Policy: Tech and Cyber
- Homeland Security Newswire: Cybersecurity
- Information Security Media Group
Publishes information security news to help banking executives, credit unions, government and healthcare officials, and IT professionals manage risk in their sectors.
- Information Week
Includes free newsletters for IT professionals, government, and others interested in technology. Dark Reading is aimed at business and data security.
- Netizen Report
From Global Voices Online, weekly roundup of news on internet freedom and online media
- New York Times Topics: Computer Security
"Technology and the business of government"; articles from government, technology, and executive sources.
- Threat Post
Analysis and news coverage for security professionals; with links to cybesecurity blogs of the Kaspersky Lab News Service.
- SecLists: Information Security News Mailing List
Aggregates news from mostly mainstream sources related to cybersecurity.
- U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team Security Alerts
- Wired: Threat Level
"Privacy, crime, and security online"
History, Background, and Research Guides
- CFR.org Backgrounder: Confronting the Cyber Threat
- beSpacific: Cybercrime
Links to primary (policies, reports, events) and secondary sources (news).
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Report: Cybersecurity Authoritative Reports and Resources
(PDF, last update: August 2013) legistlation and hearings from 112th Congress, executive orders, data sources, glossaries, reports by topic, and other websites.
- CSIS: Significant Cyber Events since 2006
- Cyber Conflict Studies Association
Working on strategic history of cyber conflict.
- Department of Homeland Security: Roadmap for Cybersecurity Research
- George Mason University - Center for History and New Media: Critical Infrastructure Protection Overview
Oral history and digital archive of government, private sector, academic, and media initiatives and reports related to cybersecurity., as well as related websites
- Google: Transparency Report
Real-time and historical traffic from around the world; government and copyright owners requests for content removal; government requests for user data.
- Harvard University Berkman Center for Internet & Society: Cybersecurity wiki
Definitions, case studies, and annotated bibliography of government documents andhearings, nongovernmental reports, news and journal articles.
- InfoPlease: Computer Virus Timeline
- NATO Library Guides: Cyberspace Security
Official documents, books, reports, websites, some free articles. Updated frequently with relevant and authoritative resources.
- SANS Institute: Information Security Resources
Computer security research, guidelines for effective cyber defense, thought leaders, glossary, intrusion detection FAQs. Links to other SANS projects, like Internet Storm Center.
Data, Polls, and Surveys
See also Must Reads on cybersecurity, CFR.org's collection of the best online analyses and inquiries on foreign policy.
U.S. Government Departments and Initiatives
U.S. Government Reports and Recommendations
See also Primary Sources on cybersecurity collection on CFR.org.
U.S. Congressional Legislation, Testimony, and Committees
- CRS Report: Federal Laws Relating to Cybersecurity: Overview and Discussion of Proposed Revisions
(PDF, last updated June 2013)
- Congress.gov: saved search for "cyber" in bills
- DHS: Cybersecurity Laws & Regulations
- Digital Due Process: Legislation, Hearings, Cases related to Electronic Communications Privacy Act
Mission of website: "To simplify, clarify, and unify the ECPA standards, providing stronger privacy protections for communications and associated data...while preserving the legal tools necessary for government agencies to enforce the laws, respond to eme
- GovTrack: latest bills on "Computer Security and identity theft bills"
- House Republican Cybersecurity Task Force
In October 2011, Task Force presented recommendations to guide legislation regarding cybersecurity.
- House Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Security Technologies: latest hearings
- Senate Committee Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee: Cybersecurity hearings
Government, Industry, and University Partnerships
- DHS: Cyber Security Research and Development Center
"Conducts its work through partnerships between government and private industry, the venture capital community, and the research community."
- Hague Security Delta
Companies, governments, and research institutions work together on innovations and knowledge in the field of cyber security, national and urban security, protection of critical infrastructure, and forensics.
- University of Maryland Cybersecurity Center
"Partners with government and industry to provide educational programs to prepare the future cybersecurity workforce, and develop new, innovative technologies to defend against cybersecurity attacks."
- William and Flora Hewlett Foundation Cyber Initiative
Investment of $20 million over the next five years to build a field of expertise on the problem of cyber threats against governments, businesses, and individuals
Cybersecurity and International Relations
- The Atlantic Council: Cyber Statecraft Initiative
- Europol: European Cybercrime Centre
- Internet Governance Forum
- International Relations and Security Network: Information and Communications Technology
Subtopics include Internet Governance, IT Security and Threats, International Technology Policy.
- Interpol: Cybercrime
Fact sheet, conferences, training
- NATO: Cooperative Cyber Defense Centre of Excellence
Includes Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, the Netherlands and USA as Sponsoring Nations.