- Air War College: Gateway to the internet
Air Force websites and other military resources
- U.S. Army Center of Military History
Books and research materials based on time frame and specific wars, histories of units, suggested reading, online museum exhibits, images and art.
- U.S. Army Center of Military History: American Military History
Online book, full text: from wars during colonial period to Vietnam War.
- Center for Defense Information
"An archive of expert analysis on U.S. and international security and defense policy."
- Combined Armed Forces Library: Digital Library
- Department of Homeland Security: History
Creation, 9/11 ten year anniversary, agenda, Hurricane Katrina, consolidation of executive branches, former secretaries.
- Department of Defense: History
Establishment of various defense-related offices.
- Department of Defense: Dictionary of Military Terms
- Federation of American Scientists: Congressional Research Service Reports on General National Security Topics
For timeline, see March 10, 2011, "Instances of Use of United States Armed Forces Abroad, 1798-2010."
- Greta's Links
Collection of defense and national security resources from a librarian at the Naval Postgraduate School Library and Homeland Security Digital Library.
- Homeland Security Digital Library
Primary source documents (Executive Orders and U.S. Policies), dictionary and glossary, resources by security topics, statistics.
- Military Education Research Library Network
- Naval History and Heritage: Histories Branch
Resource guide of "naval history from the American Revolution through the present."
- U.S. Army Center for Excellence: "U.S. Army Roadmap for UAVs 2010-2035"
- The Bureau Investigates: "Covert War on Terror."
Latest stories regarding secret attacks with drones; includes news, interactive timeline, infrographics, and data on drone attacks in Pakistan, Yemen, and Somalia.
- Center for Democracy and Technology: policy updates tagged "drones"
- Congressional Research Service: U.S. Unmanned Aerial Systems
Contains background on U.S. use of drones, Congressional considerations, and the future of drones. See also Federation of American Scientists page about drones.
- Engineering and Technology Magazine: "Military drones continue to take flight"
(August 2011)"Here we look at the many ways in which these complex machines have infiltrated the combat arena." See from same issue: "Drone warfare and the Geneva Convention."
- Federation of American Scientists: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Resources
Reports from Congressional Research Service, DoD, Congressional Budget Office, and more.
- Foreign Policy: Where the Drones Are
By CFR staff, Micah Zenko and Emma Welch: "best publically-available information and commercial satellite imagery to pinpoint the twelve most prominent bases from which drones are likely flown."
- Government Accountability Office: search for "unmanned aerial vehicles"
- Homeland Security Digital Library: search for "drones"
- Lawfare Blog: Targeted Killings Bibliography
- Living Under Drones
From Stanford and NYU: data on civilian deaths, victim stories, report concludes current U.S. drone policies are "damaging and counterproductive."
- Middle East Policy: "Drone Warfare: Blockback from the New American Way of War."
Description and history of U.S. drone use, types of drones, possible side effects of drone use, and lessons learned.
- New America Foundation: "The Year of the Drone."
An Analysis of U.S. Drone Strikes in Pakistan, 2004-present; includes map of locations, charts of strikes and deaths of high value targets, links to in-depth analysis.
- Woodrow Wilson Center: John Brennan speech on "Efficacy and Ethics of U.S. Counterterrorism Strategy"
"In full accordance with the law, and in order to prevent terrorist attacks on the United States and to save American lives, the United States Government conducts targeted strikes against specific al-Qaida terrorists, sometimes using remotely piloted airc