Background, analysis, and issues about chronic disease and its impact on the U.S. and the world.
- World Health Organization: Chronic Diseases and Health Promotion publications
Including "2010 Global NCD Status Report" and "Preventing NCDs."
- World Economic Forum: Global Economic Burden of Non-communicable Disease
(September 2011) with Harvard School of Public Health: "the disability imposed and the lives lost are also endangering industry competitiveness across borders."
- World Bank Open Knowledge Repository
Saved search for noncommunicable disease
- New York Times: Tackling Care as Chronic Ailments Pile Up
(February 2011) how to address noncommunicable diseases (in America): "delivering more efficient care to these patients and helping them not to get sick in the first place."
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies: Publications
Directed at decision makers and public to improve health in America; studies and conferences on topics like diseases, environmental health, food and nutrition, global health.
- Health and Human Rights Journal: Non-communicable diseases and global health equity
(2011) discusses how the causes, effects, and treatment of NCDs differ for poor and affluent people.
- Health Affairs: "Battling Chronic Disease Worldwide"
"Intersection of health, health care, and policy." Topic areas covered include: cardiovascular disease, chronic care, health promotion/disease prevention, international issues (embargo on articles in current year) (1981-2010 available)
- Global Health Council: Global Health Magazine
"Chronic Health: Why are we dying?" discusses heart disease, diabetes, cancer, depression; not just "diseases of the rich" (2009)
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists: "2009 National Assessment of Chronic Disease Epidemiology Capacity"
Study about whether states will be able to handle upcoming chronic health needs
- Center for Global Development: Where Have All the Donors Gone? Scarce Donor Funding for Non-Communicable Diseases Working Paper 228
(November 2010) discusses the cost estimates of chronic disease in developed and developing nations and the current lack of funding to address them.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
CDC publications and its original research e-Journal, Preventing Chronic Disease, which allows sign up for free alerts to new issues (2004-2011 currently available)
- BioMed Central Globalization and Health Journal Series: 'Chronicity' and chronic health conditions: implications for health and health care
(July 2011) free registration to view articles; includes "Framing International Trade and Chronic Disease"; covers multiple countries, both developing and industrialized. See other BMC journals: Health Research and Systems, Nutrition, Tobacco Induced Dise
- WHO Data and Statistics
Risk factors, mortality global burden of disease; indicators (alcohol, obesity, blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, diet, exercise, oral health, stroke, tobacco) by country and year
- World Bank: Data and Research
Suggested sub-topics for reports: Disease Control and Prevention; Tobacco Use & Control; Alcohol and Substance Abuse
- PubMed: Projections of Global Health Outcomes from 2005-2060
(July 2011) based on the International Futures integrated forecasting model, which "projects that deaths from communicable diseases (CDs) will decline by 50%, whereas deaths from both non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and injuries will more than double."
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD): Health Topic Page
Health data on expenditures, health core resources, mortality, risk factors; Also, "Economics of Prevention" project, policy studies, country reviews, working papers.
- National Center for Health Statistics: Chronic Disease Indicator
Compare national and state chronic disease and risk prevalence; other publications and fact sheets available
- Kaiser Family Foundation: U.S. Global Health Policy
Relevant topics: U.S. policy and funding, obesity and smoking; create data sets to compare; searchable by keyword in daily news reports, policy tracking and analysis, country tables and data map, and webcasts
- Health Data.Gov: Community Health Status Indicators to Combat Obesity, Heart Disease, and Cancer
Raw data; other data sets available
- The George Institute for Global Health: Global Health Resources
Statistics, organizations and publications on NCDs; organization based in Australia, China, India, and United Kingdom.
- CSIS: "Smart Global Health Policy"
Statistics and charts about major chronic diseases, at risk groups and reasons behind risks. (2009)
- Canadian Medical Association: Evidence-based clinical guidelines for immigrants and refugees
(June 2011) includes recommendations on preventing and addressing NCDs in immigrant populations; other topics related to NCDs in the journal include Diabetes, Cardiovascular Medicine, Lifestyle, Nutrition and Metabolism, Smoking.
- World Economic Forum: Chronic Disease and Well-Being
Discusses connections between noncommunicable diseases and the economy, as well as how to increase understanding between health and non-health professionals.
- U.S. Senate: S.RES.97
"A resolution affirming the importance of exercise and physical activity as key components of a healthy lifestyle, including in combating obesity, reducing chronic disease, and lowering health care costs. " (2011)
- United Nations High-Level Meeting on Non-Communicable Diseases
In NYC September 19-20, 2011; "address the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases worldwide, with a particular focus on developmental and other challenges and social and economic impacts, particularly for developing countries." Key documents,
- UN: Non-Communicable Disease Alliance
Fact sheets, speeches, resolutions, newsletters
- Partners in Health: The Long Tail of Global Health Equity: Tackling the Endemic Non-Communicable Diseases of the Bottom Billion
(March 2011) conference archive
- Oxford Health Alliance (OxHA): Chronic Epidemic Disease: from raising awareness to driving change
October 2011 Summit
- Ministry of Health and Social Development: First Global Ministerial Conference on Healthy Lifestyles and Noncommunicable Disease Control
(April 2011) Moscow Declaration.
- The Lancet: UN High-Level Meeting on Non-Communicable Diseases: "Addressing Four Questions"
Discusses the economic and social costs of unaddressed NCDs and suggests feasible interventions, such as tobacco control programs, salt reduction, and affordable generic drugs. Full text with a free Lancet account.
- The Lancet: "Chronic Diseases and Development"
Papers to prepare for presentations at UN High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on chronic non-communicable diseases. Full text with a free Lancet account.
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA): Framework for Action for the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases
(2011) presented on June 29 at UN Civil Society Hearings.
- Institute of Medicine: A Nationwide Framework for Surveillance of Cardiovascular and Chronic Lung Diseases
(July 2011) an NCD framework for the U.S. that is "capable of providing data on disparities in incidence and prevalence of the diseases by race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and geographic region, along with data on disease risk factors, clinical care
- Global Health Council: Non-Communicable Diseases in Developing Countries
Links to upcoming global events and declarations related to NCDs, as well as media coverage and recent reports.
- CSIS--Getting the Politics Right for the September 2011 UN High-Level Meeting on Noncommunicable Disease
- Policy Archive: Health Services for the Chronically Ill
From the Center for Government Studies, free digital archive of foundation and other publicly funded policy research. See also: Health subtopic on Food and Nutrition
Listed first are international and global chronic disease organizations, followed by organizations focused on specific regions.
- WHO: Global Non-communicable Disease Network (NCDNet)
"To reduce risk, morbidity and mortality related to four shared risk factors (tobacco use, physical inactivity, unhealthy diets, and the harmful use of alcohol) and four groups of diseases (cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancers and chronic respirator
- Non-Communicable Disease (NCD) Alliance
Directory to chronic disease organizations, world-wide.
- Global Health's list of U.S. and Global Health Organizations
Division of Health and Human Services (US government)
- World Bank: Health, Nutrition, & Population
Discussion launched on Non-communicable diseases in South Asia; other sections on Disease (including chronic), Tobacco, Nutrition, Millenium Development Goals
- National Library of Medicine: Directory of Health Organizations
Search for national and international organizations involved in global health or chronic disease
- SciDev Net: Chronic Disease
Covers Southern Hemisphere and the developing world; key documents, opinions and analysis, news (email updates), links to related organizations (divided by NGO, International, Publications and Research initiatives)
- Africa -- Consortium for Non-Communicable Disease Prevention and Control in Sub-Saharan Africa
Site in progress, key documents on strategies to address NCDs in Africa and newsletter of CNCD activities; established by African Institute for Health and Development.
- Africa -- Project HOPE: the HOPE Centre
In South Africa: "A multi-purpose centre focusing on prevention, early detection, care and treatment of chronic diseases."
- Africa -- UK-Africa Academic Partnership on Chronic Disease
Bibliography, interactive forum, links to journals and other health organizations
- Americas -- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors
Legislative and policy updates from U.S. Congress, alliances with other organizations
- Americas -- Pan-American Health Organization: Chronic Disease Prevention and Control
Chronic Disease Surveillance for break down by American countries for NCD risk factors and regional actions to prevent and treat NCDs.
- Americas -- Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance of Canada
Network of ten national organizations; resources on obesity, physical activities, marketing to children, nutrition; background and conference papers, briefings
- Asia -- South Asia Network for Chronic Disease
News, research and publications, links to other chronic disease organizations in India.
- Asia -- Australian Institute of Health and Wellness: Chronic Diseases
- Europe -- Chronic Disease Alliance
"The case for urgent political action to reduce the social and economic burden of chronic disease through prevention"; addresses tobacco, nutrition, physical activity and alcohol
- Europe -- European Public Health Alliance
Chronic Disease Alliance includes link to affiliated organizations for specific diseases and policy paper about four major health determinants (tobacco, poor diet, alcohol, lack of physical activity) and their effects on health and disease in Europe
- Europe -- European Union Public Health Portal: Other Non-Communicable Diseases
EU Commission's prevention efforts and results; broken down by specific diseases
Organized by: Background on major contributors and diseases; Specific Contributors to Chronic Diseases (Alcohol, Nutrition, Physical Activity, Tobacco); Chronic Diseases (Cardiovascular Health, Diabetes, Obesity, Cancer)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Vital Signs Issues
Covers high blood pressure, binge drinking, tobacco use, obesity, cancer; background information, warning signs, U.S. maps of prevalence
- WHO: Chronic Disease
Fact sheets, chronic disease programs in WHO regions; individual sites for specific diseases
- Oxford Health Association (OxHA): 3Four50
"3 risk factors - tobacco use, poor diet and lack of physical activity - contribute to four chronic diseases - heart disease, type 2 diabetes, lung disease and some cancers - which, in turn, contribute to more than 50 per cent of deaths in the world."
- Alcohol -- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Diet -- International Union of Nutritional Sciences
Nutrition journals, editorials, events
- Diet -- International Food Information Council Foundation
Resources for health professionals and consumers; guidelines for healthy eating, news and analysis in food policy and safety, videos that discuss recent concerns.
- Tobacco -- Framework Convention Alliance
From WHO and Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC); news, fact sheets on how tobacco is used, promoted, taxed; reports on its harmful effects; international organizations and policies involved.
- Tobacco -- Tobacco Research Network (TReND)
(2009 last update) fact sheets and statistics, key reports and open-access journals.
- Cardiovascular Health -- World Heart Federation
Webcast on NCDs and the world's poorest people. Latest news, congressional news, scientific publications and guidelines
- Diabetes -- International Diabetes Federation
News for people with diabetes and for UN updates. Newsletter: Diabetes Voice (global perspectives); Diabetes Atlas (2009)
- Obesity -- International Obesity Taskforce
Maps of prevalence of obesity (percentages of population by country and gender) and policies in different parts of the world concerning obesity; impacts on health; news