Global trade talks have stalled, presidential authority to negotiate trade agreements independent of Congress has lapsed, and pending free trade deals with Colombia and South Korea are mired in disputes in Washington, some of which reflect the unease of Americans over the impact of trade on jobs and wages. The next president will have to choose whether to revive the U.S. trade agenda or lead changes that will make more deals palatable to Americans. The following CFR resources provide background and analysis on globalization trends and trade deals.
U.S. Trade Debate
- Op-Ed: Matthew Slaughter: An Auto Bailout Would Be Terrible for Free Trade
- Backgrounder: NAFTA's Economic Impact
- Online Debate: What Should the Next President Do on NAFTA?
- Op-Ed: Jagdish N. Bhagwati: The Selfish Hegemon Must Offer a New Deal on Trade
- Critical Policy Choices Report: U.S. Trade Strategy: Free Versus Fair
- Council Special Report: The Case for Wage Insurance
- Interview: Obama Economic Adviser Says Reform Trade Policy, Diversify Energy Choices
- Interview: Edward Alden on NAFTA
- Online Debate: Policy for the Next President: Fair Trade or Free Trade
- Foreign Affairs: Stuart E. Eizenstat and Marney L. Cheek: Ending the Trade War in Washington
- Op-Ed: Jagdish N. Bhagwati: Obama and Trade: An Alarm Sounds
U.S. Trade Relationships
- Foreign Affairs: C. Fred Bergsten: How Washington Should Respond to China's Economic Challenge
- Testimony: Jagdish N. Bhagwati: U.S. Trade Policy: The China Question
- Online Debate: Should the Next U.S. President Adopt a Tougher Stance on Trade Policy with China?
- Task Force Report: U.S.-Latin America Relations
- CFR Symposium: Latin America and U.S. Policies and Politics, Session One
- Interview: Paulo Sotero on U.S. Business Ties with Latin America
Trade Deals and Organizations
- Essential Document: North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Council Special Report: The United States and the WTO Dispute Settlement System
- Online Debate: Is the WTO Dispute Settlement System Fair?
- Op-Ed: Jagdish N. Bhagwati: Termites in the Trading System
- Backgrounder: The Doha Trade Talks
- Transcript: Global Economic Trends: The Trading System
- Foreign Affairs: Marc Levinson: Freight Pain: The Rise and Fall of Globalization
- Foreign Affairs: Kenneth Scheve and Matthew J. Slaughter: A New Deal for Globalization
- Transcript: Do Globalizers Get Globalization?
- Op-Ed: Matthew J. Slaughter: Let's Have a Real Debate on Globalization
- Foreign Affairs: Alan S. Blinder: Offshoring: The Next Industrial Revolution?
- Foreign Affairs: Rawi Abdelal and Adam Segal: Has Globalization Passed Its Peak?
- Teaching Module: In Defense of Globalization
- Transcript: Globalization and Monetary Policy
- CFR Symposium: Latin America and U.S. Policies and Politics, Session Two