Global Health and Noncommunicable Diseases
Updated May 19, 2014
Research links for news, research and data, and conferences focused on global health and organizations involved in addressing noncommunicable diseases (also known as chronic disease).
These research links on noncommunicable diseases are divided into:
- Center for Disease Control: Global Health in the News
Aggregates health stories from multiple sources; see also country fact sheets
- Global Health Frontline News
Coverage of under-reported stories on global health issues including HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, polio, neglected tropical diseases, non-communicable diseases, maternal and child health, and food security
- Health Map
Real-time surveillance of emerging public health threats, includes alerts. Disease Daily covers outbreaks, research, and policy news
- Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN) - Health, Nutrition News
- Kaiser Foundation: Health Policy Daily Report
U.S. health policies and research
- Program for Monitoring Emerging Diseases (ProMed)
Reporting system on outbreaks of infectious diseases and acute exposures to toxins that affect human health
- Reuters: Health News
Latest headlines concerning health; ability to create personal topics page and group relevant articles; interactive map for obesity by country
- SciDev Net
Key documents, opinions and analysis, news, and links to related organizations on science and development. Topics: agriculture, environment, health, governance, enterprise, communication; covers Southern Hemisphere and the developing world
- WHO: Disease Outbreak News
See also influenza monthly risk assessment, weekly animal disease information, and weekly epidemiological record
Research and Data
- Global Health Council: Global Health Magazine
Networks for advocates of global health priorities worldwide; see also resources for suggested news, blogs, and think tanks
- Biomed Central
Science, Technology and Medicine publisher of peer-reviewed, open access journals.
- Global Health Data Exchange
Comprehensive catalog of surveys, censuses, vital statistics, and other health-related data
- Globalization and Health Journal
- Health and Human Rights Journal
International journal, "health as an issue of human rights and social justice"
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluations
Measurement of the world's most important health problems and evaluates the strategies used to address them; infographics, country profiles
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies: Publications
- The Lancet
Some access by free registration; topics: global health, diabetes and endocrinology, oncology, neurology, psychiatry, respiratory medicine, and infectious diseases.
Comprises more than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books, some full text
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD): Health
Research and statistics on expenditures, health core resources, economics of prevention, mortality, risk factors, for many countries
- World Bank Open Knowledge Repository: health publications
See also World Bank Data
- World Health Organization (WHO): Chronic Diseases and Health Promotion publications
See also WHO data and Global Health Observatory Map Library
Conferences and Legislation
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations (IFPMA)
Conferences, case studies, infographics. Topics: access to medication, neglected and noncommunicable diseases, influenza, vaccines, counterfeits
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Policy Tracker
Latest information on U.S. congressional and administrative action on global health
- Oxford Health Alliance (OxHA)
From University of Oxford and Novo Nordisk A/C with the aim of preventing epidemic chronic disease by addressing the three major risk factors
- UN: Non-Communicable Disease Alliance
Fact sheets, speeches, resolutions, newsletters
- World Economic Forum
See Health for All, for information on health and wellbeing, health systems vision, healthy living
Organizations (by Region)
- Non-Communicable Disease Alliance
Directory to chronic disease organizations, world-wide.
- Grand Challenges in Global Health
Focuses on 16 major global health challenges with the aim of engaging creative minds across scientific disciplines — including those who have not traditionally taken part in health research — to work on solutions that could lead to breakthrough advances f
- Africa -- Consortium for Non-Communicable Disease Prevention and Control in Sub-Saharan Africa
Site in progress, key documents on strategies to address NCDs in Africa and newsletter of CNCD activities; established by African Institute for Health and Development.
- Africa -- Project HOPE: the HOPE Centre
In South Africa: "A multi-purpose centre focusing on prevention, early detection, care and treatment of chronic diseases."
- Africa -- Engage Africa Foundation
Provides education, health services, media, and research
- Americas -- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors
Legislative and policy updates from U.S. Congress, alliances with other organizations
- Americas -- Pan-American Health Organization: Chronic Disease Prevention and Control
Chronic Disease Surveillance for break down by American countries for NCD risk factors and regional actions to prevent and treat NCDs.
- Americas -- Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance of Canada
Network of ten national organizations; resources on obesity, physical activities, marketing to children, nutrition; background and conference papers, briefings
- Asia -- South Asia Network for Chronic Disease
News, research and publications, links to other chronic disease organizations in India.
- Asia -- Australian Institute of Health and Wellness: Chronic Diseases
- Europe -- Chronic Disease Alliance
"The case for urgent political action to reduce the social and economic burden of chronic disease through prevention"; addresses tobacco, nutrition, physical activity and alcohol
- Europe -- European Public Health Alliance
Chronic Disease Alliance includes link to affiliated organizations for specific diseases and policy paper about four major health determinants (tobacco, poor diet, alcohol, lack of physical activity) and their effects on health and disease in Europe
- Europe -- European Union Public Health Portal: Other Non-Communicable Diseases
EU Commission's prevention efforts and results; broken down by specific diseases
Organizations (by Risk Factors and Disease)
Organized by specific contributors to chronic diseases (nutrition, tobacco); Chronic Diseases (cardiovascular health, diabetes, obesity, cancer)
- Nutrition -- International Union of Nutritional Sciences
Nutrition journals, editorials, events
- Nutrition -- International Food Information Council Foundation
Resources for health professionals and consumers; guidelines for healthy eating, news and analysis in food policy and safety, videos that discuss recent concerns.
- Tobacco -- Framework Convention Alliance
From WHO and Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC); news, fact sheets on how tobacco is used, promoted, taxed; reports on its harmful effects; international organizations and policies involved.
- Tobacco -- Tobacco Research Network (TReND)
(2009 last update) fact sheets and statistics, key reports and open-access journals.
- Cardiovascular Health -- World Heart Federation
Webcast on NCDs and the world's poorest people. Latest news, congressional news, scientific publications and guidelines
- Diabetes -- International Diabetes Federation
News for people with diabetes and for UN updates. Newsletter: Diabetes Voice (global perspectives); Diabetes Atlas (2009)
- Obesity -- International Obesity Taskforce
Maps of prevalence of obesity (percentages of population by country and gender) and policies in different parts of the world concerning obesity; impacts on health; news