Russia and Central Asia
Updated August 20, 2014
Research Links on Russia and Central Asia are divided into:
Country Background and History
- BBC: Russia Profile
Overview of recent history and news,facts, leaders, media, timeline, and soviet timeline.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: 20 Years After the Soviet Union
Commentary, policy research, testimony, events on domestic policy, foreign policy and post-Soviet economies.
- Central Asia-Caucuses Institute
- Human Rights Watch: Russia
- Election Guide: Russia
Produced by Consortium for Elections and Political Process Strengthening
- Library of Congress: Russia Country Study
(Not updated since 1990s)
- Russian Analytical Digest
"Recent events, trends and developments within contemporary Russian politics, economics and business, foreign policy, security and society."
- World Health Organization: Russian Federation profile
Country background, WHO collaborations, demographic and health statistics and health issues for the region.
Data, Polls, and Surveys
- Pew Global Attitudes Project: Russia
Russians' opinion of the United States and U.S. policies, and opinions of other countries, world leaders, global organizations, world economy, extremism, democracy.
- Russian Federation: Federal State Statistics Service
- Russia Votes
1993-2012. Presidents' performances, election trends, welfare and national issues; from Centre for the Study of Public Policy, University of Strathclyde.
- UN Data: Russian Federation
Economic and trade data, social indicators, environment
- VCIOM: Russian Public Opinion Research Center
Research focuses on: demographics, political, marketing, social, intellectual property.
- World Bank: Global Governance Indicators
- World Bank: Russian Federation Data
Development indicators, finances, surveys, climate change
Government and Diplomatic Representation
Organizations and Institutes
U.S. Policy Toward Russia
Comprehensive Research Guides
- Columbia University: Harriman Institute
The Harriman Institute at Columbia University is one of the world’s leading academic institutions for the study of Russia, Eurasia, and East Central Europe. Resources include publications, research links, and news.
- NYU: Beyond NYU Resources on Russia
- Georgetown University: Center for Eurasian, Russian and East European Studies
CERES provides a broad and deep understanding of Eurasian, Russian and East European affairs to audiences at Georgetown and throughout the Washington community through academics, research and outreach.
- Harvard University: Russia Research Guide
- University of Wisconsin-Madison: Russia Links
Topics include agriculture, culture, foreign policy, history, industry, law, religion, travel. Includes directory of archives.
- University of Pittsburgh: Russian and Eastern European Studies web guide
Annotates authoritative sites on the region. Resources organized by geography, subjects, and time periods. Subjects include general background, politics and government, economics and companies, science and technology, current events, languages, communicat
- Central Bank of the Russian Federation
- Ministry of Economic Development of the Russia Federation
Documents, news, indicators on macroeconomic policy.
- Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation (Minpromtorg of Russia)
English page limited to ministers and deparements; data and reports in Russian.
- Center for Economic and Financial Research
Independent economic think tank established in Russia; publications also in English, including foreign trade outlook. Research areas like deregulation, industrial organization, corporate governance, political economics, international trade.
- ASEAN-Russia Relations
- European Commission: EU Trade with Russia
Trade picture, statistics, agreements, news, and bilateral relations.
- Heritage Index of Economic Freedom: Russia
- IMF: Russian Federation
- OECD Russia section
Country surveys, statistical profile, working papers; some reports must be purchased.
- U.S. Census Bureau: U.S. Trade with Russia
- U.S. Trade Representative: Russia
World Trade Organization Accesion, fact sheets, and export opportunities.
- World Bank: Russian Federation
- World Trade Organization - Member Information: Russian Federation
Member since August 22, 2012.
- BP: Statistical Review of World Energy
- European Commission: EU-Russia Energy Relations
Energy company in Russia with "world’s largest gas transmission network." Stock quotes, major projects, news, and backgroud information on types of energy
- International Energy Agency - Nonmember Countries: Russian Federation
Background on energy production and use in Russia. Statistics for 2009; publications include analysis, World Energy Outlook, technology agreemetns
- International Relations and Security Network: Energy and Russia publications
- Russian Joint Stock Company: Unified Energy System of Russia (RAO-UES)
Information for investors, company news, financial reports.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration: Russia
Overview of country energy reserves, energy production, distribution, and trade. Statistics, analysis, and analysis briefs. See also International Energy Outlook for data from 2005: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/index.html
- World Nuclear Association: Nuclear Power in Russia