Russia and Central Asia
Updated February 17, 2015
Research Links on Russia and Central Asia are divided into:
- BBC News: Russian Media
- Eurasia Review
Disseminates content on a wide-range of subjects that are often overlooked or under-represented by Western dominated media.
- Jamestown Foundation: Eurasia Daily Monitor
- Johnson's Russia List
Email newsletter and analysis
- The Moscow Times
- New York Times: Russia
- Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty: Russia
- Reuters: Russia
- Russia Beyond the Headlines
Produced by Russian newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta
- Russia in Global Affairs
- Russia Profile
Politics, business, culture, international, calendar, and background. Free registration required to view Special Reports.
- Russia Today
In addition to news, "All About Russia" section
- St. Petersburg Times
- Times of Central Asia
- Transitions Online
Formerly Central Europe Review, "covers political, social, cultural, and economic issues in the former communist countries of Europe and Central Asia"
Country Background and History
- BBC: Russia Profile
Overview of recent history and news, facts, leaders, media, timeline, and Soviet timeline.
- Center for Russia, East Europe & Central Asia
From University of Wisconsin-Madison: topics include agriculture, culture, foreign policy, history, industry, law, religion, travel. Includes directory of archives.
- Central Asia-Caucuses Institute
- Russian and Eastern European Studies (REESWeb)
From University of Pittsburgh: annotates authoritative sites on the region. Organized by geography, subjects, and time periods. Subjects include general background, politics and government, economics and companies, science and technology, current events,
- Election Guide: Russia
Produced by Consortium for Elections and Political Process Strengthening
- Russian Analytical Digest
"Recent events, trends and developments within contemporary Russian politics, economics and business, foreign policy, security and society."
Includes this day in history, profiles of prominent Russians
- World Health Organization: Russian Federation profile
Country background, WHO collaborations, demographic and health statistics and health issues for the region.
Data, Polls, and Surveys
- Pew Global Attitudes Project: Russia
Russians' opinion of the United States and U.S. policies, and opinions of other countries, world leaders, global organizations, world economy, extremism, democracy.
- BRICS Joint Statistical Publications
(2010-present) economics and labor data for Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
- Russian Federation: Federal State Statistics Service
- Russia Votes
1993-2012. Presidents' performances, election trends, welfare and national issues; from Centre for the Study of Public Policy, University of Strathclyde.
- UN Data: Russian Federation
Economic and trade data, social indicators, environment
- VCIOM: Russian Public Opinion Research Center
Research focuses on: demographics, political, marketing, social, intellectual property.
- World Bank: Russian Federation Data
Development indicators, finances, surveys, climate change
Government and Diplomatic Representation
Organizations and Institutes
U.S. Policy Toward Russia
- Central Bank of the Russian Federation
- Eurasian Economic Commission
- Ministry of Economic Development of the Russia Federation
Documents, news, indicators on macroeconomic policy.
- Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation (Minpromtorg of Russia)
English page limited to ministers and deparements; data and reports in Russian.
- Center for Economic and Financial Research
Independent economic think tank established in Russia; publications also in English, including foreign trade outlook. Research areas like deregulation, industrial organization, corporate governance, political economics, international trade.
- ASEAN-Russia Relations
- European Commission: EU Trade with Russia
Trade picture, statistics, agreements, news, and bilateral relations.
- Heritage Index of Economic Freedom: Russia
- IMF: Russian Federation
- OECD Russia section
Country surveys, statistical profile, working papers; some reports must be purchased.
- U.S. Census Bureau: U.S. Trade with Russia
- U.S. Trade Representative: Russia
World Trade Organization Accesion, fact sheets, and export opportunities.
- World Bank: Russian Federation
- World Trade Organization - Member Information: Russian Federation
Member since August 22, 2012.
- BP: Statistical Review of World Energy
- European Commission: EU-Russia Energy Relations
Energy company in Russia with "world's largest gas transmission network." Stock quotes, major projects, news, and backgroud information on types of energy
- International Energy Agency - Nonmember Countries: Russian Federation
Background on energy production and use in Russia. Statistics for 2009; publications include analysis, World Energy Outlook, technology agreemetns
- International Relations and Security Network: Energy and Russia publications
- Russian Joint Stock Company: Unified Energy System of Russia (RAO-UES)
Information for investors, company news, financial reports.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration: Russia
Overview of country energy reserves, energy production, distribution, and trade. Statistics, analysis, and analysis briefs. See also International Energy Outlook for data from 2005: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/index.html
- World Nuclear Association: Nuclear Power in Russia