Updated March 24, 2016
Terrorism Research Links provide news, definitions and history, terrorism organizations and networks, responses to terrorism, resources on 9/11 and more.
Terrorism Research Links are categorized into:
News sources that focus on terrorism issues and produce alerts on recent threats and incidents; includes some links to foreign language news translation sources and groups that monitor jihadist media.
History, Background, and Research Guides
Includes definitions and special collections. More background resources and primary sources listed in Responses to Terrorism section. See also on CFR.org: Insurgency Tracker: A Visual History of Guerrilla Warfare From 1775 to 2012, from Max Boot's Invisible Armies.
- Archives Library Information Center (ALIC)-Terrorism
- Center for Defense Information: "Brief history of terrorism" (Archived, WayBackMachine)
2003 article by Mark Burgess, tracing incidents and groups involved in terrorist acts from the first century to the 9/11 attacks.
- Counterterrorism Blog
No longer updated, but from 2005-2011, a "one-stop gateway to the counterterrorism community."
- FBI: Terrorism Definition
18 U.S.C. § 2331
- Homeland Security Digital Library
Topics like domestic terrorism, lone wolf terrorism, and 9/11, with bibliographies, data, government documents and hearings, reports, and related websites.
- Investigative Project on Terrorism
Current court cases and files; terrorist networks, groups, and individuals; reports, testimonies, and related news
"Clearinghouse for materials related to militant, transnational Sunni Islamism"; primary sources and analysis
- National Defense University: Military Education Research Library Network (MERLN)
Comprehensive collection of official U.S. Government strategy documents and of policy statements on Iraq
- Perspectives on Terrorism Journal: Top 150 Books on Terrorism and Counterterrorism
2012 review by Joshua Sinai
- The PsyWar Society
"Project of the The PsyInternational Association of Psychological Warfare Historians and Aerial Propoganda Leaflet Collectors" timeline of propoganda initiatives and articles explaining propoganda from American War of Independence 1775 to Kosovo 1999
- South Asia Terrorism Portal
Daily news updates on terrorism events in South Asia, backgrounders and profiles, data, important legal documents, related links
- UCB Terrorism Resources
- UCLA: "Four Waves of Terrorism"
2006 report by David C. Rapoport, on "structured history of modern terror from 1879."
- UN Counter-Terrorism Research Guide
- U.S. Army War College Library: Terrorism - A Selected Bibliography
- UN Office of Drugs and Crime: Definitions of Terrorism (Archived, WayBackMachine)
Data, Polls, and Surveys
- Chicago Project on Security and Terrorism (CPOST): Suicide Attack Database
(1982-September 2015; map covers 1982-2013) location of attacks, the target type, the weapon used, and systematic information on the demographic and general biographical characteristics of suicide attackers.
- Institutes for Economics and Peace: Global Terrorism Index
2002-2011 timeline and anking of "158 countries according to the impact of terrorism."
- NIJ-Terrorism Databases for Analysis
- Pew Research: Terrorism
U.S. and international views on terrorism, drones, surveillance, and counterterrorism efforts
- Polling Report: Terrorism
Trends in American public opinion, gathered from multiple newspaper and other surveys.
- RAND Database of Worldwide Terrorism Incidents
- START: Data collections
Domestic and international terrorist events around the world from 1970 through 2011; backgrounders, trends, and forecasting; profiles of terrorists; public opinon; backgrounders
- University of Maryland: Laboratory for Computational Cultural Dynamics
"Development of algorithms to automatically track open source information related to terror groups, tribes, and socio-cultural-political entities, automated tools to learn models of the behaviors of such groups"
Terrorist Groups, Networks, and Organizations
See also CFR.org's backgrounders on individual terrorist networks and Messages and Interviews of Osama bin Laden.
Government Responses and Assessments
Includes laws, partnerships, and programs created to address terrorism. Some resources provide officials' speeches and historical information.
- Perspectives on Terrorism Journal: 100 Terrorism Research Centres
2010 compilation by Benjamin Freedman
- DHS: Preventing Terrorism and Enhancing Security
- Columbia University Library: World Trade Center Attacks - Official Documents
Guide to primary sources from 2001-2006, of U.S. and international governments; links to sources with personal and media profiles
- CIA: War on Terrorism
Historical: official statements on Osama bin Laden, use of weapons of mass descruction,
- Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)
- U.S. Commission on National Security
July 1998 February 2001; also known as 21st Century Hart-Rudman Commission. Examination of U.S. national security policies and processes.
- Congressional Research Reports: Terrorism
Collected by Federation of American Scientists
- Council of Europe: Actions Against Terrorism
Meetings, approved texts and conventions, fact sheet databases with country profiles and cyberterrorism threats,
- U.S. Department of State: Bureau of Counterterrorism
Country Reports on Terrorism, Global Counterterrorism Forum
- European Union: Summary of Legislation, Fight Against Terrorism
- FBI: Counterterrorism
Most wanted, news reports; history on major incidents
- NATO and the fight against terrorism
Official texts, responsibilities, and partnerships; publication and TV channel with experts' take on key security issues; 9/11 chronology and impact guides
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence
U.S. intelligence community, a coalition of 17 agencies and organizations
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe: Action against Terrorism Unit
- United Nations Action to Counter Terrorism
Different agencies and issues involved; legal instruments and history of UN actions.
Academic Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Perspectives on Terrorism Journal: 100 Core and Periphery Journals for Terrorism Research
2013 compilation by Judith Tinnes, includes open access and subscription resources.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: Terrorism publications
Blog by scholar Aaron Y. Zelin, focuses on global jihadi groups, their ideology and propaganda; displays Sunni jihadi primary sources and translates for fee
- International Institute for Counter-Terrorism
International think tank monitoring jihadi websites and radicalization; maintains database of terrorist incidents and cyber incidents, groups of relevant wikileaks
- International Relations and Security Network: Terrorism
Aggregated reports, analysis, and news from international relations organizations
- National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events
- RAND: Terrorism and Homeland Security
Research, case studies, and lessons learned on terrorism, counterterrorism, counterinsurgency, disaster management, and homeland security
- Southern Poverty Law Center
Tracks activities of hate groups and terrorists in the United States. Launches lawsuits to take down hate networks, publishes reports on building tolerance
- USIP Teaching Guide: International Terrorism
- West Point: Combatting Terrorism Center
Wmds, Biological and Chemical Weapons