Updated September 11, 2014
Terrorism Research Links are categorized into:
News sources that focus on terrorism issues and produce alerts on recent threats and incidents; includes some links to foreign language news translation sources and groups that monitor jihadist media.
Includes definitions and special collections. More background resources and primary sources listed in Responses to Terrorism section. See also on CFR.org: Insurgency Tracker: A Visual History of Guerrilla Warfare From 1775 to 2012, from Max Boot's Invisible Armies.
History, Background, and Research Guides
- Center for Defense Information: "Brief history of terrorism" (Archived, WayBackMachine)
2003 article by Mark Burgess, tracing incidents and groups involved in terrorist acts from the first century to the 9/11 attacks.
- Counterterrorism Blog
No longer updated, but from 2005-2011, a "one-stop gateway to the counterterrorism community."
- FBI: Terrorism Definition
18 U.S.C. § 2331
- Homeland Security Digital Library
Topics like domestic terrorism, lone wolf terrorism, and 9/11, with bibliographies, data, government documents and hearings, reports, and related websites.
- Investigative Project on Terrorism
Current court cases and files; terrorist networks, groups, and individuals; reports, testimonies, and related news
"Clearinghouse for materials related to militant, transnational Sunni Islamism"; primary sources and analysis
- National Defense University: Military Education Research Library Network (MERLN)
Comprehensive collection of official U.S. Government strategy documents and of policy statements on Iraq
- Perspectives on Terrorism Journal: Top 150 Books on Terrorism and Counterterrorism
2012 review by Joshua Sinai
- South Asia Terrorism Portal
Daily news updates on terrorism events in South Asia, backgrounders and profiles, data, important legal documents, related links
- UCLA: "Four Waves of Terrorism"
2006 report by David C. Rapoport, on "structured history of modern terror from 1879."
- U.S. Army War College Library: Terrorism - A Selected Bibliography
- UN Office of Drugs and Crime: Definitions of Terrorism (Archived, WayBackMachine)
Data, Polls, and Surveys
See also CFR.org's backgrounders on individual terrorist networks.
Terrorist Groups, Networks, and Organizations
Includes laws, partnerships, and programs created to address terrorism. Some resources provide officials' speeches and historical information.
Government Responses and Assessments
- Perspectives on Terrorism Journal: 100 Terrorism Research Centres
2010 compilation by Benjamin Freedman
- Columbia University Library: World Trade Center Attacks - Official Documents
Guide to primary sources from 2001-2006, of U.S. and international governments; links to sources with personal and media profiles
- CIA: War on Terrorism
Historical: official statements on Osama bin Laden, use of weapons of mass descruction,
- Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)
- U.S. Commission on National Security
July 1998 February 2001; also known as 21st Century Hart-Rudman Commission. Examination of U.S. national security policies and processes.
- Congressional Research Reports: Terrorism
Collected by Federation of American Scientists
- Council of Europe: Actions Against Terrorism
Meetings, approved texts and conventions, fact sheet databases with country profiles and cyberterrorism threats,
- U.S. Department of State: Bureau of Counterterrorism
Country Reports on Terrorism, Global Counterterrorism Forum
- European Union: Summary of Legislation, Fight Against Terrorism
- FBI: Counterterrorism
Most wanted, news reports; history on major incidents
- NATO and the fight against terrorism
Official texts, responsibilities, and partnerships; publication and TV channel with experts' take on key security issues; 9/11 chronology and impact guides
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence
U.S. intelligence community, a coalition of 17 agencies and organizations
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe: Action against Terrorism Unit
- United Nations Action to Counter Terrorism
Different agencies and issues involved; legal instruments and history of UN actions.
Academic Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Perspectives on Terrorism Journal: 100 Core and Periphery Journals for Terrorism Research
2013 compilation by Judith Tinnes, includes open access and subscription resources.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: Terrorism publications
- IntelCenter: Free Analytical Reports, Charts & Maps
Providing counterterrorism intelligence; free content includes current hostage sitatuations, summaries and timelines of threats and messaging (original full text through subscription)
- International Institute for Counter-Terrorism
International think tank monitoring jihadi websites and radicalization; maintains database of terrorist incidents and cyber incidents, groups of relevant wikileaks
- International Relations and Security Network: Terrorism
Aggregated reports, analysis, and news from international relations organizations
- RAND: Terrorism and Homeland Security
Research, case studies, and lessons learned on terrorism, counterterrorism, counterinsurgency, disaster management, and homeland security
- West Point: Combatting Terrorism Center
Biological and Chemical Weapons