From the breakthrough at the Paris climate change conference to the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals at the UN General Assembly, summits in 2015 heralded major progress in international cooperation. As we ring in the New Year, it’s time to look at what lies ahead for global summitry.
In the latest Council of Councils Global Memo, I preview the seven summits that deserve your attention in 2016:
1. The Nuclear Security Summit (Washington, DC, March 31–April 1)
2. UN General Assembly Special Session on the World Drug Problem (New York, April 19–21)
3. World Humanitarian Summit (Istanbul, May 23–24)
4. Group of Seven Summit (Shima, May 26–27)
5. Group of Twenty Summit (Hangzhou, September 4–5)
6. Habitat III (Quito, October 17–20)
7. Conference of Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (Marrakech, November 7–18)
To learn why these summits made the cut, check out the Global Memo.