- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from August 10 to 16, 2019. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- August 11: Fifteen soldiers, eight ISWA (Boko Haram) militants, and three civilians were killed during a clash in Gubio, Borno.
- August 11: Gunmen abducted a chief imam's son and two others in Ogun Waterside, Ogun.
- August 11: The Nigerian Air Force killed "scores" (estimated at forty) of Boko Haram militants in Bama, Borno.
- August 12: Gunmen killed one and kidnapped thirteen in Batsari, Katsina.
- August 12: Soldiers killed three civilians at a festival in Obafemi-Owode, Ogun.
- August 13: Suspected herdsmen killed two in Kabba/Bunu, Kogi.
- August 14: A Boko Haram suicide bomber killed herself and six others in Kaiga-Kindjiria, Chad.
- August 14: Kidnappers abducted a pastor and his son in Chikun, Kaduna.
- August 14: Boko Haram killed three soldiers in Maiduguri, Borno.
- August 14: Gunmen killed ten in Khana, Rivers.
- August 15: Gunmen killed one in Obio/Akpor, Rivers.