Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from July 28 to August 3, 2018. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
(Last week, July 27: Boko Haram killed eleven soldiers and three civilians, while Nigerian soldiers killed sixteen militants in Monguno, Borno.)
- July 28: Gunmen kidnapped fifteen in Maradun, Zamfara.
- July 28: Militants killed one soldier and five others in Etim Ekpo, Akwa Ibom.
- July 29: An IED killed six in Homaka, Cameroon. Boko Haram was suspected.
- July 29: A cult clash resulted in three deaths in Ikwerre LGA and two deaths in Emuoha LGA in Rivers.
- July 29: Bandits killed three and abducted seven in Birnin Gwari, Kaduna.
- July 31: A cult clash resulted in five deaths in Jos North, Plateau.
- August 1: Gunmen killed five in Obio-Akpor, Rivers.
- August 2: Nigerian troops killed twenty bandits in a military aircraft raid in Zurmi, Zamfara.
- August 2: Gunmen abducted an Islamic preacher and two others in Igabi, Kaduna.
- August 3: Herdsmen killed three in Bassa, Plateau.
- August 3: Sectarian violence led to five deaths in Lau, Taraba.
- August 3: Nigerian fighter jets killed "several" (estimated at five) Boko Haram militants in Monguno, Borno.
- August 3: Boko Haram killed five in Monguno, Borno.