- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from May 14, to May 20, 2016. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- May 14: Nigerian troops repelled a Boko Haram attack in Gwoza, Borno, killing two militants.
- May 15: A cult clash resulted in the deaths of six in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni, Rivers.
- May 19: A cult clash resulted in the deaths of five in Emuoha, Rivers.
- May 20: Militants blew up a pipeline in Warri South West, Delta. There were no casualties.
- May 20: Boko Haram militants killed six in Bosso, Niger.
- May 20: Sectarian violence resulted in the deaths of two in Ikole, Ekiti.
- May 20: In Kogi, two All Progressives Congress representatives were kidnapped in Lokoja and two judges were kidnapped in Idah.