On October 30–November 1, 2016, the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) and CFR convened the ninth Council of Councils regional conference, "Regional Security in a Turbulent World," in Berlin, Germany.
Participants discussed five major themes:
- European Regional Security
- Migration as a Challenge for Regional Security
- Regional Conflicts with Global Implications: The Fight Against Islamist Terrorism in the Middle East
- Brexit: Implications for the EU and the World
- Populism as a Challenge to Political Stability and Globalization