Democracy and Governance
- Out of the Debt Ceiling Fire, But Still in the Frying PanNow that Congress voted to pass a bill based on the Biden-McCarthy compromise, an immediate debt ceiling crisis appears to have been averted. Still, a much larger debt problem awaits.
- Meet Ron DeSantis, Republican Presidential CandidateThe Florida governor announced his candidacy for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
- The Great Firewall of Montana: How Could Montana Implement A TikTok Ban?Montana banned TikTok a month ago. Enforcing this ban would require the creation of a surveillance regime that would be far more detrimental to privacy and civil liberties than TikTok could ever be.
- What Happens When the U.S. Hits Its Debt Ceiling?As the U.S. government grapples with another deadline to increase its debt ceiling in 2023, economists warn that a possible default could have disastrous economic consequences.
- Artificial Intelligence Enters the Political ArenaPolitics is one of the latest industries shaken up by AI, the use of artificially generated content in campaigns could spell trouble for candidates and voters alike in the fight against mis- and disinformation.
- School Shootings Are a National Security ThreatIn the year since a gunman butchered nineteen students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, the United States has suffered at least forty school shootings—perhaps most notably…
- C. Peter McColough Series on International Economics With Martin WolfMartin Wolf discusses the relationship between capitalism and democracy, the origins of the “democratic recession” of the last decade and a half, and ways to strengthen democratic capitalism against its enemies. The C. Peter McColough Series on International Economics brings the world's foremost economic policymakers and scholars to address members on current topics in international economics and U.S. monetary policy. This meeting series is presented by the Maurice R. Greenberg Center for Geoeconomic Studies. This meeting is part of the Diamonstein-Spielvogel Project on the Future of Democracy.
- Stopping Illegal Gun Trafficking Through South FloridaAmerican-made guns trafficked through Florida ports are destabilizing the Caribbean and Central America and fueling domestic crime. It's time for the United States to get serious about stopping the flow.