- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from February 27 to March 5, 2021. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- February 27: Bandits killed four and kidnapped twenty-six in Rafi, Niger State.
- February 27: Bandits killed four in Igabi Local Government Area (LGA) and three in Kajuru LGA in Kaduna.
- February 27: Bandits killed three in Sabon Birni, Sokoto.
- February 28: Police officers killed nine bandits in Safana, Katsina.
- February 28: Bandits kidnapped seven in Rafi LGA and three in Katcha LGA in Niger State.
- February 28: Gunmen killed five in Zangon Kataf LGA and five in Chikun LGA in Kaduna.
- February 28: Gunmen killed three in Tsafe, Zamfara.
- February 28: Nigerian troops killed "dozens" (estimated at twenty-four) in late February in Igabi, Kaduna.
- March 1: Bandits killed five in Igabi LGA and one in Kauru LGA while airstrikes killed "many" (estimated at twenty) bandits in the surrounding area in Kaduna.
- March 1: Bandits kidnapped one and killed twelve in Illela, Sokoto.
- March 1: Sectarian violence led to two deaths in Okobo, Akwa Ibom.
- March 1: Boko Haram abducted seven aid workers in Dikwa, Borno.
- March 2: Kidnappers abducted three students in Safana, Katsina.
- March 2: Bandits kidnapped fifty in Rafi, Niger State.
- March 2: Gunmen killed one and kidnapped "some" (estimated at five) in Obokun, Osun.
- March 3: Gunmen killed six police officers in Obubra, Cross River.
- March 3: Bandits kidnapped seventy in Maru, Zamfara.
- March 3: Nigerian troops killed "some" (estimated at ten) Boko Haram militants in Marte, Borno.
- March 4: Sectarian violence led to five deaths in Offa, Kwara.
- March 4: Bandits killed one and kidnapped two in Bodinga, Sokoto.
- March 4: Four bandits and one soldier were killed during a clash in Safana, Katsina.
- March 4: Nigerian troops killed one Boko Haram militant in Ngala LGA and five militants in Dikwa LGA in Borno.
- March 5: Bandits killed seventeen in Sabon Birni, Sokoto.
- March 5: Suspected herders killed two farmers in Ikole, Ekiti.