- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from May 8 to May 14, 2021. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- (March 23–April 2 and April 19–May 3: Nigerian troops reported that they killed fifty-three bandits in and around Maradun, Zamfara.)
- May 8: Gunmen killed six police officers during an attack on a police station in Ini, Akwa Ibom.
- May 8: Bandits killed three in Jema'a, Kaduna.
- May 8: Bandits killed eleven in Safana, Katsina.
- May 9: Gunmen killed two police officers during an attack on a police station in Essien-Udium, Akwa Ibom.
- May 9: Gunmen killed five in Ekwusigo, Anambra.
- May 9: A Nigerian soldier killed one civilian in Gusau, Zamfara.
- May 10: Bandits kidnapped forty from a mosque in Jibia, Katsina; thirty were rescued immediately.
- May 10: Police killed three kidnappers in Oredo, Edo.
- May 10: Kidnappers abducted a pastor from his church in Akure, Ondo.
- May 10: Herdsmen killed one in Iwajowa, Oyo.
- May 10: A cult clash resulted in ten deaths in Bakassi, Cross River.
- May 11: Bandits killed one police officer in Sokoto, Sokoto.
- May 11: Nigerian troops repelled a Boko Haram attack, killing nine militants in Maiduguri, Borno.
- May 11: Kidnappers abducted two in Akoko North-West, Ondo.
- May 11: Gunmen killed two in Ife North, Osun.
- May 12: Gunmen killed one police officer during an attack on a police station in Etim Ekpo, Akwa Ibom.
- May 12: Pirates killed two in Mbo, Akwa Ibom.
- May 12: Security operatives killed two gunmen in Obowo, Imo.
- May 13: Customs officers killed five civilians in Iseyin, Oyo.
- May 13: Herdsmen killed eleven in Bali, Taraba.
- May 13: The Nigerian Air Force killed "several" (estimated at twenty total) in Chikun and Birnin-Gwari Local Government Areas in Kaduna.
- May 13: A cult clash resulted in eight deaths in Esit Eket, Akwa Ibom.
- May 14: Gunmen killed one in Port Harcourt, Rivers.