- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from December 12 to December 18, 2020. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- December 12: Nigerian troops killed three bandits in Katsina-Ala, Benue.
- December 12: Twenty Boko Haram militants and one soldier were killed during a clash in Askira/Uba, Borno.
- December 12: Kidnappers abducted one and killed one soldier and one other in Ibadan, Oyo.
- December 12: Boko Haram killed thirty refugees in Diffa, Niger.
- December 13: Three escaped prisoners were killed after a prison break in Calabar, Cross River.
- December 13–December 14: Kidnappers abducted twenty-two in Rafi, Niger State.
- December 15: Bandits killed two and kidnapped one in Oshimili South, Delta.
- December 15: Suspected Fulani herdsmen killed three in Makurdi, Benue.
- December 15: Following a police killing of a commercial motorcyclist on December 15, protestors burnt down a number of police stations in Aguata, Anambra; during the violence, one police officer and one civilian were killed.
- December 16: Nigerian troops killed five Boko Haram militants in Ngala, Borno.
- December 16: Nigerian troops killed two bandits in Katsina-Ala, Benue.
- December 17: Nigerian troops killed four Boko Haram militants in Kukawa, Borno.
- December 17: Bandits killed seven in Zangon-Kataf, Kaduna.
- December 17: Amotekun officers killed two civilians in Ibadan, Oyo.
- December 17: Kidnappers abducted five in Kaura-Namode, Zamfara.
- December 18: Gunmen killed eight during an attack on the Zamfara Emir's convoy in Funtua, Katsina.
- December 18: Boko Haram killed five and abducted thirty-five travelers during a highway attack in Konduga, Borno.
- December 18: A suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber killed herself and three others in Konduga, Borno.