- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from December 19 to December 25, 2020. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- December 19: Five Nigerian soldiers and "several" (estimated at ten) Boko Haram militants were killed during a clash in Mafa, Borno.
- December 19: Sectarian violence led to seven deaths in Kauru LGA and two deaths in Lere LGA in Kaduna.
- December 19: Bandits kidnapped eighty students and four teachers in Dandume, Katsina but police officers repelled the attack and rescued the victims.
- December 19: Sectarian violence led to seven deaths in Zangon Kataf, Kaduna.
- December 20: Gunmen killed three and kidnapped one in Rafi, Niger State.
- December 20: Gunmen killed one and kidnapped two in Rogo, Kano.
- December 20: Cult clashes resulted in nine deaths in Abakaliki, Ebonyi.
- December 21: Kidnappers abducted seventeen in Danmusa, Katsina.
- December 22: Bandits killed seven and kidnapped three in Chikun, Kaduna.
- December 22: Kidnappers abducted twenty-one in Batsari, Katsina.
- December 23: Two vigilantes, five civilians, and "several" (estimated at ten) bandits were killed during a clash in Giwa, Kaduna.
- December 23: Gunmen killed two naval officers at a checkpoint in Okene, Kogi.
- December 23: Soldiers killed three robbers in Mangu, Plateau.
- December 23: Bandits killed two and kidnapped one in Batagarawa, Katsina.
- December 24: Boko Haram killed eleven and kidnapped seven in Chibok, Borno.
- December 24: Boko Haram killed eight and kidnapped eleven in Gombi, Adamawa.
- December 24: Six bandits and two civilians were killed in clashes in Sanga and Lere LGAs in Kaduna.
- December 24: Gunmen killed three police officers and two civilians in Katsina-Ala, Benue.
- December 24: Bandits kidnapped five in Shiroro, Niger State.
- December 24: Nigerian troops killed two bandits in Ukum, Benue.
- December 24: Suspected Boko Haram militants kidnapped forty loggers and killed three in Ngala, Borno.
- December 25: Bandits killed two police officers in Garki, Jigawa.
- December 25: Police officers killed two civilians at a concert in Oturkpo, Benue.