- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from February 20 to February 26, 2021. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- February 20: Bandits killed three and a suspected informant was lynched in Kajuru, Kaduna.
- February 20: Bandits killed nine and kidnapped seventeen in Shiroro, Niger State.
- February 20: Bandits killed two and kidnapped nine in Igabi, Kaduna.
- February 20: Gunmen killed one and kidnapped ten in Safana, Katsina.
- February 21: Kidnappers abducted five in Andoni, Rivers.
- February 21: Gunmen killed four at a market in Ibadan, Oyo.
- February 21: Boko Haram killed six internally displace persons (IDPs) in Damboa, Borno.
- February 21: "Scores" (estimated at forty) of militants were killed during a clash between Boko Haram and Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) factions (location estimated around Mobbar, Borno).
- February 22: Communal clashes led to twenty-five deaths in Ohaukwu, Ebonyi.
- February 22: Gunmen killed two police officers in Essien-Udim, Akwa Ibom.
- February 23: Gunmen killed three and kidnapped nine in Sabuwa, Katsina.
- February 23: A Boko Haram rocket attack killed sixteen in Maiduguri, Borno.
- February 23: Suspected herdsmen killed three in Ikpoba-Okha, Edo.
- February 23: Nigerian troops killed fourteen Boko Haram militants in Marte, Borno.
- February 23: Four gunmen and two police officers were killed during an attack on a police station in Osisioma Ngwa, Abia.
- February 23: Bandits killed seven while "several" (estimated at ten) bandits were killed by airstrikes in Igabi, Kaduna.
- February 23: Bandits killed eight and kidnapped "some" (estimated at five) in Chikun, Kaduna.
- February 24: Gunmen killed four police officers in Aguata, Anambra.
- February 24: Sectarian violence led to two deaths in Mbo, Akwa Ibom.
- February 25: Bandits killed nine in Maru, Zamfara.
- February 25: Gunmen killed four police officers in Calabar, Cross River.
- February 25: Boko Haram kidnapped "dozens" (estimated at twenty-four) in Konduga, Borno.
- February 25: Bandits killed three in Isa Local Government Area (LGA) and one in Sabon Birni LGA in Sokoto.
- February 26: Bandits kidnapped 317 students in Talata-Mafara, Zamfara.