- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from January 16 to January 22, 2021. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- January 16: Bandits killed one in Igabi LGA, three in Chikun LGA, and one in Giwa LGA in Kaduna.
- January 16: Soldiers killed five civilians, and one soldier was killed in retaliation in Maiduguri, Borno.
- January 16: Communal violence led to two deaths in Anambra East, Anambra.
- January 16: Kidnappers abducted seventeen in Shiroro, Niger State.
- January 17: Bandits killed ten, including one soldier, and five bandits were killed in Maradun, Zamfara.
- January 17: Gunmen killed two police officers and two others in Port Harcourt, Rivers.
- January 17: Nigerian troops killed thirty bandits and lost one soldier in Bungudu, Zamfara.
- January 17: Bandits killed one in Igabi LGA, killed one and kidnapped one in Zaria LGA, and killed two in Giwa LGA in Kaduna.
- January 18: Police officers killed two kidnappers in Mangu, Plateau.
- January 18: Nigerian troops killed two bandits in Kagarko, Kaduna.
- January 18: A roadside bomb planted by Boko Haram killed four Nigerien soldiers in Diffa, Niger.
- January 18: Sectarian violence led to seven deaths in Mbo, Akwa Ibom.
- January 18: Nine soldiers and five Boko Haram militants were killed during a clash in Nasarawa, Nassarawa.
- January 18: Bandits killed thirty-five in Maru, Zamfara.
- January 18: Bandits killed seven vigilantes in Mashegu, Niger State.
- January 20: Nigerian troops killed five Boko Haram militants in Damboa, Borno.
- January 20: Bandits killed two in Chikun LGA, one in Giwa LGA, and one in Igabi LGA in Kaduna.
- January 21: Bandits killed thirteen and kidnapped eleven in Bungudu, Zamfara.
- January 21: Yansakai, an outlawed vigilante group, killed two herdsmen in Maradun, Zamfara.
- January 22: Soldiers killed four kidnappers in Owo, Ondo.
- January 22: Bandits killed four in Chikun LGA and two in Giwa LGA in Kaduna.