- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from October 3 to October 9, 2020. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- October 3: The Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) killed a civilian in Ughelli North, Delta.
- October 3: Gunmen killed a pastor in Ekiti West, Ekiti.
- October 3: A police officer killed a civilian in Abuja, FCT.
- October 3: Suspected Fulani bandits killed nine in Batsari, Katsina.
- October 3: Bandits kidnapped twenty in Jibia, Katsina.
- October 4: One was killed in election-related violence in Akure, Ondo.
- October 4: Troops killed two bandits in Kachia, Kaduna.
- October 5: Sectarian violence led to six deaths in Riyom, Plateau.
- October 5: Troops killed a bandit leader and "some" others (estimated at five total) in Barkin Ladi, Plateau.
- October 5: Bandits kidnapped six in Maru, Zamfara.
- October 6: Herdsmen killed two in Bassa, Plateau.
- October 7: Kidnappers abducted three in Kuje, FCT.
- October 7: Kidnappers abducted twelve in Ughelli North, Delta.
- October 8: One police officer and one civilian were killed during an EndSARS protest in Ughelli North, Delta.
- October 8: Police officers killed two robbers in Ikot-Ekpene, Akwa Ibom.
- October 8: Suspected herdsmen killed two in Afikpo, Ebonyi.
- October 8: Air strikes killed "many" (estimated at twenty) bandits in Batsari, Katsina.
- October 9: Gunmen killed one police officer and one civilian in Ethiope East, Delta.
- October 9: Police officers dispersed protestors with gunshots in Osogbo, Osun.
- October 9: Bandits killed three in Giwa, Kaduna.