Launched in 2016, the International Affairs Fellowship (IAF) in Canada, sponsored by Power Corporation of Canada, seeks to strengthen mutual understanding and cooperation between rising generations of leaders and thinkers in the United States and Canada. The program provides for one to two mid-career professionals per year to spend six to twelve months hosted by a Canadian institution to deepen their knowledge of Canada. Fellows are drawn from academia, business, government, media, NGOs, and think tanks. CFR will work with its network of contacts to assist the fellows in finding suitable host organizations in Canada. CFR cannot guarantee placement at any specific agency or organization.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must be mid-career professionals.
- Applicants must possess a strong record of professional achievement.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to a career in foreign policy and have an interest in U.S.-Canada relations.
- Applicants must hold at least a bachelor’s degree.
The duration of the fellowship is between six and twelve months. The program awards a stipend of $95,000 for a period of twelve months as well as a modest travel allowance. Fellows are considered independent contractors rather than employees of CFR and are not eligible for employment benefits, including health insurance.
Selection as an IAF in Canada is based on a combination of the following criteria:
- scholarly qualifications
- professional experience
- firm grounding in foreign policy
- merits and feasibility of a project proposal that relates to U.S.-Canada relations
- character and personal qualities conducive to promoting cross-cultural communication and cooperation
The selection process is highly competitive. Based on the overall application, the selection committee chooses one to two candidates to be fellows. CFR will work with the selected fellows to place them in suitable host organizations. Placements are made at the discretion of host organizations. CFR cannot guarantee placement at any specific agency or organization.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the program’s eligibility requirements can apply online between July 1 and October 31 on an annual basis.
Affiliations at the time of the award
President and Chief Executive Officer, Market Access International, Inc.
Managing Partner, Anzu Partners
A list of former fellows can be found online by visiting the Historical Roster of CFR’s International Affairs Fellows in Canada.
For more information, please contact: