- Blog Post
- Blog posts represent the views of CFR fellows and staff and not those of CFR, which takes no institutional positions.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from April 15 to April 21, 2017. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- April 15: Gunmen killed thirteen in Jama'a, Kaduna.
- April 16: Gunmen killed a Nigerian journalist in Yenagoa, Bayelsa.
- April 16: Gunmen killed the new LG Secretary and one other in Ukanafun, Akwa Ibom.
- April 17: Nigerian soldiers killed twenty one Boko Haram militants in Kala/Balge, Borno
- April 17: Nigerian soldiers killed six Boko Haram militants in Gwoza, Borno.
- April 17: Boko Haram killed five Nigerian soldiers at a military base in Sabon Gari, Borno.
- April 18: Sectarian violence led to ten deaths in Gwer West, Benue.
- April 19: An IED planted by Boko Haram killed three Nigerian soldiers in Gwoza, Borno.
- April 19 : A Boko Haram suicide bomber killed himself and three others in Kolofata, Cameroon.