In this special edition, CFR.org Editor Robert McMahon, CFR's Director of Studies Jim Lindsay, and Foreign Affairs Editor Gideon Rose start off the summer with a list of books that they will be reading in the weeks ahead. Listen in for recommendations from their reading lists, and check out the links below for more information.
Robert McMahon's list:
- The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin, by Masha Gessen
- Through a Screen Darkly: Popular Culture, Public Diplomacy, and America's Image Abroad, by Martha Bayles
- My Crazy Century, by Ivan Klima
- Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China, by Evan Osnos
- Official Guide New York World's Fair 1964 / 1965, Time-Life
James Lindsay's list:
- The Pity of War, by Niall Ferguson
- Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War, by Robert Gates
- No End Save Victory: How FDR Led the Nation Into War, by David Kaiser
- The Education of an Anti-Imperialist, by Richard Drake
- One Summer: America, 1927, by Bill Bryson
Gideon Rose's list:
- The Leading Indicators: A Short History of the Numbers That Rule Our World, by Zachary Karabell
- The World of Yesterday, Stefan Zweig
- War Comes to Garmser: Thirty Years of Conflict on the Afghan Frontier, by Carter Malkasian
- How About Never - Is Never Good for You? My Life in Cartoons, by Bob Mankoff
- A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1), by George R.R. Martin
U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s second impeachment reverberates in Congress, Washington braces for President-Elect Joe Biden’s inauguration amid increased security ...
Americans face the fallout—at home and abroad—from violent pro-Trump riots that shook the U.S. Capitol and Democrats narrowly gain control of the Senate after runoff...
The Climate Ambition Summit 2020 is held virtually five years after the Paris Agreement, the state of Georgia begins early voting in its Senate runoff, and Tunisia m...
U.S. health officials discuss emergency authorization of a COVID-19 vaccine; Venezuelans vote for a new National Assembly, currently the country’s last opposition-co...
Saudi Arabia hosts a virtual Group of Twenty (G20) summit, U.S. President-Elect Joe Biden ramps up his cabinet nomination process, and the United States prepares to ...
U.S. President-Elect Joe Biden begins a turbulent ten-week transition, Armenians and Azeris react to a Russia-brokered peace agreement, and the thirty-seventh summit...
The world awaits the results of the close U.S. presidential election, the World Trade Organization (WTO) is scheduled to select a new director general, and Myanmar h...
The World Health Summit 2020 takes place virtually, Chileans vote in a constitutional referendum amid protests, and Tanzania holds a general election.