In this special edition, CFR.org Editor Robert McMahon, CFR's Director of Studies Jim Lindsay, and Foreign Affairs Editor Gideon Rose start off the summer with a list of books that they will be reading in the weeks ahead. Listen in for recommendations from their reading lists, and check out the links below for more information.
Robert McMahon's list:
- The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin, by Masha Gessen
- Through a Screen Darkly: Popular Culture, Public Diplomacy, and America's Image Abroad, by Martha Bayles
- My Crazy Century, by Ivan Klima
- Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China, by Evan Osnos
- Official Guide New York World's Fair 1964 / 1965, Time-Life
James Lindsay's list:
- The Pity of War, by Niall Ferguson
- Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War, by Robert Gates
- No End Save Victory: How FDR Led the Nation Into War, by David Kaiser
- The Education of an Anti-Imperialist, by Richard Drake
- One Summer: America, 1927, by Bill Bryson
Gideon Rose's list:
- The Leading Indicators: A Short History of the Numbers That Rule Our World, by Zachary Karabell
- The World of Yesterday, Stefan Zweig
- War Comes to Garmser: Thirty Years of Conflict on the Afghan Frontier, by Carter Malkasian
- How About Never - Is Never Good for You? My Life in Cartoons, by Bob Mankoff
- A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1), by George R.R. Martin
World Food Day is marked amid a rise in global food insecurity, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) defense ministers convene in Brussels, and a Libya in turmo...
The World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund hold their annual meetings, the Czech Republic holds closely watched elections in the wake of the Pandora Pa...
European Union and Balkan leaders hold a summit amid rising Kosovo-Serbia tensions, the U.S. Congress reaches a critical budget deadline, and the postponed Expo 2020...
The first in-person summit of the Quad—Australia, India, Japan, and the United States—takes place; Germany’s general election is set to produce a successor to Angela...
The United Nations General Assembly holds its annual debate, Canadians vote in a close federal election, and U.S. President Joe Biden hosts a summit on the COVID-19 ...
Americans mark twenty years since the September 11th terrorist attacks, the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) convenes for a summit to discuss security in Afgh...
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko hold integration talks, Germany’s election season ramps up, and U.S. and Mexican offic...
United States combat troops are set to fully withdraw from Afghanistan, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky meets U.S. President Joe Biden in the White House, and...
The world reacts to a grim report from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Taliban forces advance across Afghanistan as the United States completes its...