Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from January 7 to January 13, 2017. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- January 7: Boko Haram attacked a military base and killed six soldiers, but Nigerian troops repelled the attack and killed fifteen militants in Gujba, Yobe.
- January 8: Herdsmen killed "scores" (estimated at forty) of civilians and five police offers, and abducted one in Demsa, Adamawa.
- January 8: Five suicide bombers killed themselves and three others in Maiduguri, Borno. Boko Haram was suspected.
- January 10: Sectarian violence led to four deaths in Bosso, Niger.
- January 12: Sectarian violence led to three deaths in Bosso, Niger.
- January 12: An improvised explosive device planted by Boko Haram killed two soldiers in Damboa, Borno.
- January 13: Three Boko Haram suicide bombers killed themselves and eight others in Madagali, Adamawa.
- January 13: Boko Haram attacked soldiers in Kukawa, Borno, killing three soldiers and losing 10 of their own.
- January 13: Kidnappers kidnapped two Turkish teachers and three Turkish pupils from a school in Ifo, Ogun.